French Style Spring Peas with Bacon
- 2 cups shelled garden peas or thawed frozen petite peas
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, cleaned and trimmed (edible pods)
- ¼ pound snow peas cleaned, trimmed and sliced (edible pods)
- 5 slices country style or thick sliced bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon Shirley J Chicken Bouillon
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup Shirley J Universal Cream Soup & Sauce Mix
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Fresh ground pepper
Prepare ahead, a large bowl of ice water, set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add ½ of the Chicken Bouillon (½ teaspoon). Add all of the peas except for snow peas, cook for 2 minutes or until bright green and slightly tender, add snow peas and cook for 30 seconds longer. Immediately drain and plunge peas into ice water bath to cool, (note: if using petite frozen peas reserve them and add with snow peas). In sauce pan cook bacon until done, drain grease from pan and add water, sauce mix and remaining Chicken Bouillon, stir well and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low. Drain peas well, and then add to sauce mixture along with lemon juice, cook while stirring gently, just till heated (30 seconds).
Any combination or style of peas may be used. This recipe can also be made gluten-free by using Shirley J Gluten-Free Cream Soup & Sauce Mix.