Green Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 cups water
- 6 medium size tomatillos, husks removed and washed
- 2 jalapenos, stems removed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ diced yellow onion (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup Shirley J Universal Cream Soup & Sauce Mix
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
In a sauce pan combine 2 cups of the water, tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and onion, cover and boil until the water is almost gone (approximately ¼ cup remaining). Using a stick (submersible) blender, or food blender, blend until smooth. Add the remaining 2 cups water, cilantro and sauce mix, stir well, return sauce to heat and bring to a boil.
- 12-6 inch corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 4 cups cheese (jack, mozzarella, or cheddar)
Preheat oven to 350°. Mix together the chicken, 2 cups of the cheese, and 1 cup of the sauce mixture to make the filling. Then individually, lay out the tortillas and place approximately 1/4 c. of the meat mixture in the center of each tortilla, roll and place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. When all the enchiladas are rolled, cover with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
This recipe can be made gluten-free by using Shirley J Gluten-Free Cream Soup & Sauce Mix.