Grown Up Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces (4 cups) heavy walled macaroni twist pasta, cooked and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Shirley J Universal Cream Soup & Sauce Mix or White Cheddar
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
Preheat oven to 375°. Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking combine water and sauce mix into a sauce pan; stir well over medium heat. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to simmer and add cheddar cheese and cottage cheese, stir. Remove sauce from heat and combine with pasta. Place mixture in a casserole dish. Add melted butter and Romano cheese to dry bread crumbs and combine well. Place sliced tomatoes on top of casserole and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake in oven until golden brown.
This recipe can be made gluten-free by using Shirley J Gluten-Free Cream Soup & Sauce Mix and serving over gluten-free pasta.